Who We Are
First Baptist Church was organized on April 28, 1895, by the Rev. J.P. Rutledge and nine original members – B.T. Majors, Willie Downing, G.W. Siddons, Mr. and Mrs. S.B. Jones, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Skinner, Ella Petitt and S.B. Callahan. Early services were held on the fourth Saturday evening and Sunday morning of each month. In 1898, funds were raised to erect a permanent House of Worship for the congregation. Church trustees purchased land at the corner of Jackson and Depot streets, and a frame structure was soon built. The congregation continued to grow and a three-story brick church was built at the same location in 1928. The church has constructed several later buildings at the Jackson and Depot site.
Several organizations have been founded within the congregation throughout the years. The Ladies Aid (later known as the Women’s Missionary Union) was founded prior to 1903. The Baptist Young People’s Union was active by 1927.
The spirit of giving has been evident from the church’s beginning. Donations have been collected from the congregation for several charities including Home and Foreign Missions, Buckner’s Orphan’s Home and Palacios Academy. In 1975, the Church purchased property to be used to build a mission (now Bethel Baptist Mission.) Today, El Campo First Baptist Church remains a spiritual leader in the community.
We are an autonomous fellowship of believers in Jesus Christ. We are Christ-Led. Our church government is congregational style (meaning: Run by the people.)
Our church is associated with the Colorado Baptist Association of Texas, the Baptist General Convention of Texas, and the Southern Baptist Convention. In addition, we coordinate with the El Campo Ministerial Alliance of various denominations in and around the El Campo area.
Our membership and leadership are reflective of the ethnicities of our community. We welcome anyone of like belief, no matter what race or economic level from which they come.